Home

Home

Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Power of the Hashtag

Hashtags weren't even a thing a less than a decade ago--my parents barely know how to reference it properly today, but in its short lived career it has managed to take over the social media world.

In 2007, the pound sign (#) was introduced to social media platforms allowing users to type it before a word in order to tag it or in other words, add it to a group of that subject. For example, on Instagram I can "#VEGAS" and my picture will show up on a search with everyone else who "#VEGAS" as well.

Hashtags connect people.
In a way, hashtags have made it possible for people to connect and share on a level that had never been reached before. Hash-tagging (a word likely made up by this hashtag era) "JusticeForMichaelBrown" on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, and such connected people all over the world to share their thoughts and feelings about an unarmed black boy that was shot and killed by police.

Hashtags spread news.
I can easily say something I saw or what I think about a particular subject on Twitter, but it will only get seen by a few of my 180 Twitter friends scrolling through that day. When I add a hashtag or three in it, it becomes accessible to the entire Twitter world. It's revolutionary because information can spread in seconds in comparison to decades ago. If I see Justin Bieber selling marijuana at the bus stop, I can post it to social media hashtag a few things and soon the whole world will know. Personally, when I'm stuck on the freeway and pass a huge accident, I'll tweet it with the hashtags of the name of the freeway and Los Angeles or traffic--hoping to possibly spare someone from the agony.

Hashtags start movements.
A few months ago, a transexual by the name of "Sister Roma" on Facebook was deactivated by Facebook for not complying with their "real-name policy". It made sense that Facebook would have this regulation because they want their communication platform to be legitimate, safe, and credible. However, Sister Roma said this was the name she truly identified with and took to social media with the #MyNameIs. Thousands of people saw the hashtag and joined the movement. The hashtag eventually lead to Facebook changing their policy.

Hashtags can be abused.
Sometimes people abuse hashtags for their own personal gain. These people are often called "Hashtag Whores". They post a picture and then they add 25 hashtags on it to gain followers or likes. If someone on social media hashtags #LikeForLike or #FollowForFollow... they will likely get unfollowed by me. I'm on social media for friends and information, not for a popularity contest.

4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post- I definitely think the hash tag can be viewed as the continued desire to find connection through a platform that ironically disconnects us from one another: digital media. We want to see who else is doing the #100happydays challenge right along with us or who is fighting for the same causes that we are. That being said I am so tired of my friends posting photos with a million hash tags just so they can get more followers. Why do we care how many people follow our photo posts or how many likes we have? Why has the number of likes on a photo become a form of social capital we crave? I know of people who have actually paid for more Instagram followers just so they can get more likes on their photos- it's insane how much we care about how our online presence will make us look in real life interactions with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you brought a point to this hashtag epidemic. The other day my twelve-year-old brother was on the phone with a gaming company and the operator asked him to press the "pound" button and he was so extremely confused. He had no idea which button on the phone pad was the "pound" button. When I finally showed it to him he was even more confused responding back, "That's the hashtag button". That's the significance that this # button has brought our society. Moreover, adding to your point, hashtags are a great way to express your tone and voice. It's also excellent for marketing as it allows businesses and socialites to generate buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I wouldn't say overusing hashtags (or hashtag whores) is an abuse of them, I agree with what you're saying. As a means of connection between strangers, it's interesting to see what comes up when you click on a hashtag, for example, when you're using instagram. I think the most important point you make is about starting and perpetuating movements- hashtags can really help prevent or bring attention to the important issues facing us today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the aim of hashtags, but as you point out, it has definitely been popularized to the point of over saturation! I have a 13-year-old sister and it's fascinating to observe how tech and social media-savvy she was before getting her first period. This post reminded me of the Instagram scandal James Franco was caught in a while back, when he asked a 17-year-old for her number with the "#" sign and she thought he was talking about a hashtag.

    ReplyDelete